Thursday, May 28, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday - Children's Rooms

This week Kelly wants to see our children's rooms or nurseries. My daughter, Kate, is 11-years old. Right now her room is yellow but we are going to change the color very soon. I think we have finally agreed on a pale icy blue. For that reason, I don't have as much art on the walls as I would normally have. The furniture was mine when I was growing up and my mother's before me. Here goes....

This is the pictures of Kate's bed with her new matress and my great-grandmother's handsewn quilt on it. I think the little piece of paper is the label off the mattress!!!! She is a hoot.

Here is another view of her bed that I took tonight while see was sleeping!!! We found these sconces and they are perfect.





For those who are new to my blog, Kate's dad passed away suddenly when she was eight. It was a rough couple of years but she is doing much better. There were so many things she wanted to hold onto; little pieces of him. I had my friend, Joe, make these shelves and we have put her favorites up there - his cowboy hat, boots, glasses, tool belt, etc. Here is a close-up.



Here is a view from the door of Kate's room.

One thing I started when Kate was young was framing one piece of her art every year. They have turned out wonderful. Here is one I framed in a vintage frame I found at a flea market.

Here is another I had professionally framed. It costs a little but is SO worth it.


Her closet doors are mirrored. I covered one with chalk contact paper. It is the bomb!


I hope you have enjoyed your visit! Thanks for coming by.

7 comments:

~Katie said...

I LOVE those sconces!! What a cute room Kate has! And what a great idea to frame her art. I think I may copy that idea! :) So sorry to hear about her daddy. Thanks for sharing!

~Katie said...

OK, I already commented but now I have to comment again. I have been reading through your blog and you are halarious! I love the Cita stories. I also love the wall hangings and buckets you make. REALLY CUTE! Anyhow, just had to tell you I enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you, Kate and Cita. Wjy do you call her Cita? Is that her name?

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Love the sconces and the shelf of memories of her dad made me teary eyed! I really like the chalkboard idea on the closet doors!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Dawn said...

Katie--thank you so much for sweet comments. I am glad you are enjoying the "Cita" stories. Cita is short for mamacita. She was adamant that Kate would not call her grandma!! Ha!

Dawn said...

Mrs.Nurse Boy, Thanks for the comments. The chalkboard contact paper is awesome. I found it online through Amazon.com. We covered one door with it and left the other with the mirror but now she uses her dry erase markers on it to play school.

Blessed Beyond said...

I have to tell you, Kate's room is really great! I love it! I love the shelf with the items of her Dads. So special! I really do like how you have her art framed! That is such a wonderful idea! And the chalkboard for the closet door is the bomb!! I agree for sure! What a great job you have done! So fun!

Pam Bowers said...

What a sweet room. Great idea to keep her daddy's memory alive. Loved the mirror/chalk board doors.