Sunday, May 31, 2009

Little Orphan Cita

When Kate and I got home from our trip to The Woodlands we were excited to see Cita and show her all the cute clothes Tina and Jerry got Kate for her birthday. We have been looking all over trying to find the right outfits for all the festivities.

So we are hanging out in Cita's room talking and having a fashion show. Right in the middle of the show Cita avers, "I am an orphan." Okay, please understand these drive-bys happen often and Kate and I have learned to just keep on task and not trouble trouble. Kate and I looked at each other and then proceeded with the fashion show. Oh no, here Cita comes with another one, "Humph, glad nobody cares that I am an orphan."
I take the bait. I know I shouldn't but I do. I reply very sympathetically, "Cita, you're not an orphan. Both Teetsie and Jack died when you were an adult."
Uh oh, not what she wanted to hear. Cita looks at me and says idignantly, "The definition of orphan is someone who has no parents! I am an orphan!"

Does anyone know of an orphanage that accepts 65-year-old orphans?

Oh and by the way, Merriman-Webster's online dictionary defines orphan as:
1 : a child deprived by death of one or usually both parents 2 : a young animal that has lost its mother 3 : one deprived of some protection or advantage. Child being the operative word.

No comments: