Monday, July 27, 2009

Kudos!

I am so excited! I am taking some online classes this summer. One of them is an education class that studies special populations. We are studying everything from gifted and talented to ADHD to Autism. We have online discussion boards where our prof posts a question and we must weigh in on the issue and respond to other students comments. All that to say, I checked the discussion board this morning and this was the prof's post:

"Some very thoughtful comments. A quick anecdote, I remember working in a toddler classroom, having a Master's degree and some 3 or 4 years of experience in working with children AND inclusion was at its peak. A child with an entire side of her brain missing entered my classroom. WOW, the little training in Special Education was helpful, but I often wished to have a full scope and depth of skills that a Special Ed. teacher would get. We all survived and my skills and confidence increased, but I pondered about this fine line of inclusion; we don't want people to be forced into "special classes" and in that "end" of the school or another campus altogether. But at the same time, even with my educational level, I felt this inadequacy that I thought a more trained teacher needed. The truth is, we got some support from ECI, but in the end it was up to us "regular" ed teachers to do the task. AND a big resound to Dawn Fisher's comments, class size should be low for all classes, SPED or not."

Whoohoo! Taking online classes can be so sterile and impersonal. It is nice to know that I am on the right track and being listened to!

1 comment:

First Grade Teachers said...

Congrats Dawn! You are going to make a fantastic teacher!