Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Staycation 2009

My bestfriend's family and we were planning on taking a trip down to Jack's Place in July. Unfortunately the river is WAY low so there is no tubing and it is so dry there is a burn ban. Jack's Place is fun and I could just sit and read and relax but the kids would be bored silly! Let's face it there are only so many minnows to catch and I think the minnows would have gotten tired of Cheeto's eventually. No tubing and no s'mores = no Jack's Place.

Licia and Joe came up with the idea of having a staycation at their place. So Kate and I loaded up our stuff and headed over. We all made a pact to turn our cell phones off and have a vacation. We had the BEST time!

Day One: Joey took Jake, Kate and Gage to Hawaiian Falls while Licia and I got pampered. Licia got a massage and I got a pedicure. We shopped a little and then headed to pick up Joey and the kids. That night we celebrated birthdays with Licia's extended family. Then back to the "inn".

Day Two: We headed to Ft. Worth. We started at the Federal Bureau of Engraving and Printing. It was so cool. I've told you before I am a geek. I love, love, LOVE stuff like this. We got to watch the whole money printing process. Really amazing! Did you know that you can buy uncut money in sheets?! How cool is that. Next, we headed to Fred's Texas Cafe for burgers. This is truly a "joint". We had good greasy burgers and cheese fries. After our yummy lunch we headed to the Amon Carter Museum. Okay, listen to this...as we are walking up to the museum Jake says, "So, who is Uhmon Crater anyway?" We all died!!! Uhmon Crater--get it? Instead of Amon Carter. So funny. We didn't let him forget it either. Anyway, the museum is fabulous and free. They offer free tours too. We stopped at Starbucks for refreshments and headed home. We made sandwiches for dinner then headed to the backyard for swimming and s'mores. Joey found these really cool lights that float in the pool and it looks like you are in a disco. It was a good day.

Day Three: We loaded up the kids and drove to Terrell for peaches at Ham's Orchard. This place rocks. They have fresh fruits and veggies, peach ice cream, fudge, jams, jellies, honey, baked goods and cookbooks. We bought a ton of goodies including a huge box of fresh peaches. On the way out we noticed the slushie machines. Licia and I tried the muscadine cider slushie. It was AWESOME! A perfect treat to enjoy on the drive home. We stopped at Luby's for lunch then back to the house. Unfortunately, I had to take a break from the staycation to get my hair done. Hey, I've got priorities. While I was getting my hairs did, Licia made two cobblers. When I got home we took one to the fire station. It was fun and they got a call while we were there. We surprised the kids with a shaving cream war and washed off in the pool. We made homemade pizza and watched movies. Perfection.

Day Four: We checked out of the "inn". We had such a good time. Kate and I love our extended family! Licia is the most gracious hosetess ever. I hope she felt like she was on vacation too. We are blessed.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: