Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas 2010 - Day Three Part Two

After the ferry ride we headed to a litte place right on the water for lunch. Our first meal in Italy! Very exciting! We chose Pasticceria Monti. It is a cute little place with a good menu. I ordered tortellini carbonara and Kate ordered a pasta dish as well. The waiter left and we heard this pop-pop! I looked over and it was the gal behind the counter poking holes in the tops of two T.V. dinners! No kidding. We saw a case of take-away dinners when we walked in but had no idea that is what we would be eating! Oh well! We got our food and believe it or not it was REALLY good!
With full bellies we headed to the Piazza Cavour. We needed to pick up a few items since our luggage was still M.I.A. We got what we needed and strolled around the city. We ended up back at the piazza for a drink. Here is Kate looking up at.....
this beautiful church!
We also stopped at this little open-air market. They all sorts of goodies. And the best part is they ship it home for you. Which is great for us as we still don't have ANY LUGGAGE!
We needed a breather so we headed to our hotel. Our room is the one above the entrance with the arched windows. Our balcony is to the left of the windows.
Kate journaled at the desk while Cita and I watched CNN. After hearing more of the horror stories of all the poor people stranded in airports all over Europe we were so grateful! Thank you God for getting us out of the mess.
After the sun set we bundled up and went to dinner. The city's decorations were AMAZING. They have all these spotlights all over the place. The spotlights cast colors, scenes and pictures on the buildings. Who thinks this stuff up? It was soooooo cool. Here are some pictures I took:
This is the scene that greets you as you walk into the Piazza Cavour. It reads "Como City of .....(can't figure the word out) Friends of Como Wish You a Merry Christmas."
Santa and his reindeer projected across the church! Isn't it amazing?
We took the hotel's recommendation and had dinner at Trattoria Gesumine. I had the bresoala and arugula salad. Bresoala is dried beef. It sliced VERY thin and dried. They place the slices of bresoala on a plate top with arugal and shavings of pecorino and then dress with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Pure heaven on a plate!!!! For my pasta course I had the gnocchi and gruyere sauce. Very good, but very rich. Here is Kate enjoying her pasta with tomato sauce. Her pasta was the best out of the three we had. I can't explain it but the sauces in Italy are unmatched!

No comments: