I received my letter of acceptance from the University of North Texas. Woohoo! I am excited and scared. My dream of becoming a teacher is really going to happen. What a journey it has been!
Late in 2006 I started career development counseling with George Winston. I met him through my daughter's first grade teacher, Sarah. Sarah was Mr. Winston's daughter. We did test after test after test. Interest tests, value tests, skills tests, personality tests. The common thread through all the testing was teaching. Teaching was my dream when I was in high school but had changed my mind to get a degree in a more lucrative field. Which, by the way I never finished.
Long story short. After much prayer and meditation, I made a decision to leave corporate America and take an aide job at an elementary school. I was not sure how this was going to work out. I have never looked back--not once--not even for the money. I am blessed beyond belief. I look forward to my days with the kids. They are light. They are life. They are an adventure. I am also surrounded by teachers who love what they do and have been willing to let me watch and learn from them. This is SO different from corporate America where no one wants to let you in on "their secrets" for fear of sabotage or not getting ahead.
So I go to school and go to school (take classes). Slowly, one hour at at time, I will get there. I will walk across the stage and get my diploma. I will be an educator. It is never too late.
****Note*****Mr. Winston, my counselor, sent me an email in December 2006 that he had been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. I was so sad for him and sweet his family. Sadly, he passed away the summer of 2007. I was so blessed to know him and I learned so much from him. He was one of those people who made you feel like you were the only one who existed when you talked to him. He gave me hope and direction. Thanks Mr. Winston!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I tried to say this last night, but it wouldn't let me!
You are such an inspiration. I love this post
Post a Comment