Saturday, June 13, 2009

ChickenFish

I have a friend, Doug, who calls me ChickenFish. Yes, you read it right--ChickenFish. He gave me the nickname a couple of years ago. I've always thought, "I'm no chicken!" But I am a chicken when it comes to thunderstorms and the threats of tornadoes. So here is what happened Wednesday night.

Kate is at a friends house and Cita is at Maguire's with clients. I am sitting in the glider on the back porch with Mr. Man (Thebestdogthereeverwas) and enjoying the time alone. Reading a little geology, rocking back and forth, just snuggling in. Loving life. Then it happened. The sirens went off. I thought to myself, "What? It isn't even raining. The City of Carrollton is trigger happy."

I called Kate and made sure she was okay. She was fine. I continued to sit. Then I heard the storm radio say, "blah, blah, TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY!"

What!?!?!??! Take cover immediately? That takes time! I ran into the house turned on the T.V. There it was. Possible tornadoes in Flower Mound and Coppell. Okay, I am starting to freak.

I run to the closet and pull everything out so Mr. Man and I can get in. Oh my goodness. I am alone. I don't want to do this alone. I am REALLY freaking out now.

What am I going to do? I can't drive--it's too late to drive anywhere. Remember the lady in the movie Places in the Heart? She stayed in her car and whoosh, she was gone.

Where can I run?

Who do I know?

I HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!

Officially, in freak out mode. Get a straight jacket.

I know! The Lucy and Bob! I can call them. Where is the directory? Oh yes, in the drawer. Dial, Dawn, dial. Fingers don't fail me now.

"Lucy? This is Dawn Fisher."

"Yes?"

Now I am crying and panicked. I squeal, "Can I please come to your house?"

"Oh yes! Come on down."

Oh, thank goodness! Okay, shoes, shoes, WHERE ARE MY SHOES? Oh, there they are. Shoes on. Keys, need keys. Must lock door. Got keys.

Bye Mr. I love you.

I open the door. OH NO! It is here. The wind. The rain. The storm. Tree limbs and trash blowing down the street. It is too late. I have to get in the closet. Get Brice and get in the closet. Sit in the closet. I can't stay here. I've got to get out. I am making a run for it.

Bye Mr. I still love you. I open the door and RUN! It is only four houses. I will be fine. I am racing. I am wet. Gosh, the wind is STRONG. Oops, there goes a flip-flop. Forget it, keep running. There goes the other flip-flop. Just keep running. I am close. I am in their yard. I am here. I hit the front porch and skid into their door. Ahhhh, I'm here.

Lucy lets me in. She gives me a towel. She calms me and sits me down. Then I see it. My toe is sliced open and bleeding. Oh no, not on her white carpet! She nurses my toe and puts a bandage on it.

I am calmer now. We just sit and talk. She and Bob are so kind. They are watching 3 of their grandkids for the week. We all waited out the storm, ate chocolate chip cookies, and watched home movies. It was great.

Lucy and Bob are the greatest.

So it is confirmed I am chicken.

Here is the toe. And my ruined pedi.

No comments: