Saturday, August 8, 2009

In the District....

Today I got to sleep in. Soooooo nice. I don't get to do that often. We ran some errands, took a nap and got ready for our big night in the District.

We met up with a bunch of Ginna's gal pals and hopped on the Metro. David was our bodyguard. We got off at Dupont Circle and headed over to KramerBooks and Afterwards Cafe. This is one of my favorite places in the whole world---books and food in one place!!!!! It is heaven.

We started off with the Sharezies of Thai Buffalo Wings, Nachitos, Hearts of Romaine with Blue Cheese, etc. Very good. For dinner I had the Cafe Smoked Pork Cubano Sandwich. It was incredible, just melted in my mouth. The eight of us split the Peanut Butter Goober Pie and Double Chocolate Cake for dessert. Can you say rich and yummy?

After stuffing ourselves we perused the bookstore. They have some wonderful, yet strange, books. Even better, the people watching and eavesdropping was entertaining.

We hopped back on the Metro to the Smithsonian station. This is my favorite station because you come up from the ground RIGHT, SMACK-DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MALL!!!! Right in between the museums, The Capitol and Washington Monument. So breathtaking. The monuments at night are amazing. We strolled down to the WWII Memorial and just sat and soaked it all in. Words can't describe the greatness of it all.

We caught taxis (beacuase there were too many of us to fit in one!) to David's jobsite, 51 Louisiana. He was such the proud papa explaining it all to us girls, who for the most part knew nothing of architecture. I am glad we got to see it. I have enjoyed seeing all the projects over the years he and Ginna have been in D.C.

We strolled over to Union Station and caught the Metro back to Maryland.

We arrived home happy and exhausted. I must take a minute to say how much I enjoyed meeting all Ginna's friends. They were all so sweet and kind. We laughed and had the best time! Cheers to my new gal pals-Carmel, Alicia, Melanie, Margaret and Beth! Thanks for making me feel at home with you all.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: