I am not kidding when I tell you this program is amazing. Let me unpack it for you:
- It gave Kate a place with other children her age where she could express her feelings and be affirmed in them. This was incredible. It was a relief for me because though I know what it is like to lose someone to death; I have not experienced the loss of a parent much less witnessed it. These kids and counselors understood. After the first night's session she got in the car and said, "Mom, they understand. Did you know it is okay to be mad that Daddy died?"
- I got counseling I didn't know I needed. I assumed because Jim and I were no longer married I didn't need counseling. I was wrong. I was in mourning. Though we were no longer married, we were good friends and partners in Kate's life. I was also mourning dreams lost. I was sad and mad at him. I was sad he was going to miss Kate growing up. I was mad that he left us. Left me alone to go it alone.
Kate and I both got better. After we had been in GriefWorks for awhile they came to us and asked if Kate and I wouldn't mind doing a promotional ad for them for the annual gala and fundraiser. Kate was excited to be interviewed and I was excited that our experience, strength and hope would help someone else. It was an exciting time. They even asked Kate and I to come the big gala and so that Kate could be personally introduced!
Anyway!!! All this to say that Carol from ChristianWorks called and said they are branching out into radio spots now and they want the audio of Kate's experience to be played on the radio! So be listening to KLTY, KVIL and KWRD the months of December and January. You might just hear a 9-year old Kate telling of her wonderful healing experience!
Praise God that He has taken a heartbreaking event and transformed it into a blessing!

No comments:
Post a Comment