I have been having some chest pains on and off since Friday. I kept telling myself it was probably just indigestion. But nothing was getting rid of it. Well, I didn't go away on Saturday. It came and went, came and went. By last night I was getting a little worried but I didn't want to freak Kate out so I waited until today when she was gone to head to the ER.
I told Cita what was going on and she offered to come with me. I told her to stay at home and I would keep her posted. I got to the ER and told them what was going on. They did an EKG, chest x-ray and blood work. All came back normal: heart, kidney, liver, chest! Not a heart attack! Turns out I am probablyl having esophogeal spasms. I felt like such an idiot!
The doctor was so sweet. He said I should've come in and to never take chest pains for granted. Esophogeal spasms carry all the same symptoms of a heart attack: intense pain in chest, sharp pains in between the shoulder blades, and indigestion. And to cloudy the waters even more, women ususally have atypical symptoms for heart attacks and die because they don't seek medical attention. I didn't feel so silly after hearing that. Better safe than sorry. I was prescribed a couple of medicines and will follow-up with my doctor.
So ladies and gents: DO NOT TAKE CHEST PAINS FOR GRANTED!
Lastly, I called Cita from the ER to give her an update. At this point the only test run was the EKG and my heart looked fine. Here is the convo:
"Cita, looks like my heart is okay. They still want to do a chest x-ray and bloodwork. I will need to stay here until all the results are back."
"But your heart is good?"
"Yes, it appears so."
Relieved she said, "Okay, thank God. Now I can relax!"
Tear welling up in my eyes, I can't respond.
Then she says, "Dawn, you know we can't do without you!"
Crying I say, "Yes, mom, I know."
We hang up.
For all the poking and jabbing I do at Cita bottom line is she is there for me. She loves me the best she can and most of the time that is pretty darned good. God, knows I am not always easy to love.
I told Cita what was going on and she offered to come with me. I told her to stay at home and I would keep her posted. I got to the ER and told them what was going on. They did an EKG, chest x-ray and blood work. All came back normal: heart, kidney, liver, chest! Not a heart attack! Turns out I am probablyl having esophogeal spasms. I felt like such an idiot!
The doctor was so sweet. He said I should've come in and to never take chest pains for granted. Esophogeal spasms carry all the same symptoms of a heart attack: intense pain in chest, sharp pains in between the shoulder blades, and indigestion. And to cloudy the waters even more, women ususally have atypical symptoms for heart attacks and die because they don't seek medical attention. I didn't feel so silly after hearing that. Better safe than sorry. I was prescribed a couple of medicines and will follow-up with my doctor.
So ladies and gents: DO NOT TAKE CHEST PAINS FOR GRANTED!
Lastly, I called Cita from the ER to give her an update. At this point the only test run was the EKG and my heart looked fine. Here is the convo:
"Cita, looks like my heart is okay. They still want to do a chest x-ray and bloodwork. I will need to stay here until all the results are back."
"But your heart is good?"
"Yes, it appears so."
Relieved she said, "Okay, thank God. Now I can relax!"
Tear welling up in my eyes, I can't respond.
Then she says, "Dawn, you know we can't do without you!"
Crying I say, "Yes, mom, I know."
We hang up.
For all the poking and jabbing I do at Cita bottom line is she is there for me. She loves me the best she can and most of the time that is pretty darned good. God, knows I am not always easy to love.

2 comments:
Oh my goodness! That is scary! You know you can call 911 and the nice firemen at station 2 will come and help you.
I am so glad your mom didn't ask you to pick up tamales on the way home.
I am glad you are healthy!
Dina, I did think about calling 911 but what if another station responded? Ha, no tamales on the way home. You make me laugh. I am healthy just too plentiful!
Post a Comment