Saturday, August 28, 2010

Homeschooling

I have always been enamored by the idea of homeschooling. I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it is the freedom - to choose when, what and how you teach. Maybe it is the awesome curriculum available. Maybe it is all the school supplies. Maybe it is doing in 4 hours what takes hours to do in public school. But then there is the reason I don't. I wouldn't be good at it. I know it and Kate knows it. Here is a conversation we had about it the other day.

"Kate, what would you say if I decided to homeschool you?"
There was a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG pause. Then she said, "No Mom, that's okay."
"Why?" I asked, knowing she is trying to hard to put together a response that won't hurt my feelings.
She finally replies, "I just think it would put a lot of unneeded stress on our relationship."
That girl is smart!!!! What she means is that we would be at each other's throats!

No comments: